WordPress VIP (WPVIP), the enterprise division of Automattic, is the world’s leading agile content management platform. Our suite of open solutions and services brings the ease and agility of WordPress to the heart of the largest enterprises in the world. Our large and growing ecosystem of technologies, services, and integrations is designed to bring the freedom and power of open source to our customers, which include Facebook, The New York Times, Salesforce, and hundreds more.
About the Role
The Customer Success Software Engineer role is responsible for ensuring our customers’ ultimate technical success in scaling, building, and deploying world-class applications on top of our powerful platform. In this diverse, customer-facing role, you will provide technical and architectural consulting and advice to customer teams and leadership; solve complex, often mission-critical problems with customer deployments and applications; promote platform knowledge and feature adoption to our customers; and propose, design, and build the tools and processes that power our business.
As an integral part of a support or consulting squad at WPVIP, you’ll focus on our customer’s technical needs and goals. But you’ll also have ample opportunity to
contribute to WPVIP’s platform and the open-source tools (including WordPress core) that we build upon. We encourage periodical rotation to one of our product teams in order to contribute to the platform. In addition, the role includes continuous opportunities to ship code and solutions as part of one of our many project squads.
- You are an engineer with a drive for real-world outcomes. You may have a background as a full-stack product engineer, or as an engineer in enterprise or media — but you are ready to roll up your sleeves and work directly with a wide spectrum of interesting global customers.
- You will never stop learning. You have a willingness to rapidly learn new technologies.
- You have excellent written English and can effectively communicate with customers, sometimes under stressful circumstances. Communication is our oxygen and the basis of everything we do.
- You like actively solving problems. You are excited by the idea of deep, collaborative problem-solving on a regular basis and motivated by the prospect of what you’ll learn along the way.
- You may have experience with some of the following: software engineering industry standards across the full lifecycle, coding standards and team coding practices, source control (primarily Git), build processes, testing methodologies, and cloud infrastructures.
What to Expect
We know applying to jobs can be stressful and we want to ease the stress by giving clear expectations upfront about what to expect from our process. We’ve outlined everything you need to know here including all of the steps in the process as well as how we approach hiring ( Note: For the Software Engineer, CS position, we conduct the coding challenge before the Slack interview ). We’re always iterating so if you happen to join us in the process, please feel free to offer feedback on what else we can include there!
We are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Tumblr, Simplenote, Jetpack, Longreads, Day One, PocketCasts, and more. We believe in making the web a better place.
We’re a distributed company with more than 2000 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 120+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Automattician Resource Groups. diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.